New story: The Rehabilitator by Londonboy
- Sex, Drugs, but Not Rock 'n' Roll—"Scientists find that a small percentage of individuals take no pleasure in listening to music."
- LSD, Reconsidered for Therapy—"In Switzerland, the first controlled trial of the drug in more than 40 years found that it eased anxiety in people nearing the end of their lives." NYT
- The psychology of hate: How we deny human beings their humanity—"From slavery to genocide, society has shown a terrifying ability to disregard the personhood of others. Here's why." Salon
- This is your brain on murder: What the mind of a psychopath looks like—"What's going on behind an American psycho's eyes? Science reveals the answer." Salon
- Is it good for people to fail occasionally?—"In our highly competitive world, we prize success and hate it when things go wrong, but is there actually a value in failing?"
Tech and Your Health
- 11 Year MTHR Study Finds No Danger from Wireless Mobile Phone Radiation
- No reliable evidence wind farms harm health, peak research body says—"NHMRC paper finds some 'poor quality evidence' that proximity to windfarms is associated with annoyance and lack of sleep, and further research is warranted."
- Sound machine study should not cause parents to panic: White noise doesn't make your baby deaf.
- US Farmers Report Widespread GMO Contamination of Organic Crops
- Monsanto's Roundup may be linked to fatal kidney disease, new study suggests
- Tampa family sickened by meat laced with LSD
- Deadly diarrhea caused by wastewater on crops
- Hundreds of foods in U.S. contain 'ADA' plastics chemical: report
- Republicans press Medicare attack in congressional elections
- As GOP certainty about Obamacare's collapse deepens, number of uninsured falls again WaPo
- GOP's New Kamikaze Plan: Punish Doctors If Obamacare Isn't Chopped
- Republicans have a secret Obamacare strategy — and it's based on deception—"The ploy: Expecting to win Senate seats, they'll play up Obamacare now — to falsely claim it was reason they won." Salon
- Obamacare's Ground Zero—"Florida’s 13th congressional district may be where Democrats learn to live or die with the Affordable Care Act."
- No, Obamacare Isn't Turning America Into A Part-Time Economy
- Cease and desist: Louisiana demands MoveOn stop criticizing Gov. Bobby Jindal in ad—Which factually states that Jindal did deny Medicaid to 242,000 people.
- Cruz Still Thinks Obamacare Repeal Possible In 2015: 'Every Single Word'
- The Fall Of Obamacare McCarthyism
- Colbert Hears Obamacare Horror Story from Someone Who Is Definitely NOT an Actor
Bill of Health
- Florida trauma centers charge outrageous fees the moment you come through the door
- How HCA turned trauma into a money-maker—"The family's bill was so high because Mason, through no choice of his own, wound up at a trauma center run by Hospital Corporation of America."
- Would my blood test still cost $1,132 if the US had a public health option?—"Democrats should admit Obamacare's failures and campaign instead for a public option. It's the only way to bring costs down."
- Medical Bankruptcies are Still a Problem, Here's What to Expect
- Don’t Pay that Total. How to Negotiate Your Medical Bills
- Drug company refuses to give lifesaving medication to 7-year-old boy—"Chimerix, the company that manufactures Brincidofovir, has given hundreds of patients emergency access to the medication in the past, but they have since stopped this practice saying 'they cannot afford it,' according to Johnson Jr. However, Chimerix has received more than $72 million in federal funding to develop Brincidofovir."
- L.A. E-Cigarette Ban Approved
- Washington: House Finance panel OKs 75 percent tax for e-cigs
- Chuck Schumer goes after marketing of e-cigarettes to kids—"Worried that tobacco companies are marketing to children with flavored e-cigarettes, Sen. Chuck Schumer vowed to push legislation that would close loopholes in advertising laws."
- Let's Please Put the Myth of the Iron-Willed Putin to Rest Once and For All
- Clashes in Ukraine as Rallies Take a Turn NYT
- Russia has miscalculated over Crimea, says Hague
New story: The Door by irrcapt (hypno)
- The Legacy of Loving v. Virginia Lives On in Gay Marriage Rulings—"Fundamental rights must trump the government's attempt to control private relationships."
- Republican group shows support for gay marriage
- Republicans Want to Stop Gays From Filing Joint Tax Returns? Really?
- Ben Carson CPAC Speech: Gay People 'Don't Get Extra Rights'
- The Shamelessness of Professor Mark Regnerus
States of the Nation
- Five Reasons Same-Sex Marriage Is Sweeping the Nation—"Here's why even Texas, Oklahoma and Utah are joining the march toward marriage equality." Infographic: Watch Marriage Equality Sweep the Nation
- Why Kentucky's Attorney General Refuses To Defend His State's Anti-Gay Law
- Michigan County Clerk Says She Would Defy AG On Same-Sex Marriages—Another constitutional test for anti-gay amendements.
- 4 couples sue Indiana over same-sex marriage ban
- CPAC Panelist: It Is 'A Liberal Lie' That States Ban Gay Marriage
- Pope Signals Church Could Support Civil Unions In Some Cases—"Pope Francis signaled that the Catholic Church could support some civil unions, particularly in order to guarantee property rights or medical care for nonmarried couples."
- Zmuda: 'I was told I could either divorce or be fired'—"The gay former vice-principal of Eastside Catholic says the school claimed it did not discriminate based on marital status or sexual orientation when he was hired, but then fired him for entering into a same-sex marriage last year." Thought Catholics didn't believe in divorce.
- Dalai Lama says no problem with gay marriage
- Former Miss Kentucky reveals she's gay in blog post
- Ariz. lawmaker comes out: 'I am gay, I'm a Latino, I'm a state senator and it's OK'
- The NBA will donate all proceeds from Jason Collins jersey sales to the Matthew Shepard Foundation and GLSEN
- Chick-fil-A drops donations to anti-LGBTQ groups by more than 99 percent in two years—"Chick-fil-A's corporate foundation reduced donations from $3.6 million to $25,390." Salon
- How big business got behind gay rights WaPo
- CPAC Is for Lovers, or At Least 'Discreet' Casual Encounters
- Lebanon: Being Gay Is Not a Crime Nor Against Nature
- State Witness Against Gay Adoption: Homosexuals Are Going To Hell
- A Polite Homophobe Is Still a Homophobe—How dare we be intolerant of their intolerance.
- Steve King: People Will Pretend To Be Gay So They Can Sue Businesses For Discrimination
- "I dare you to go to a lesbian bar": How this gay conservative defends keeping discrimination legal—"I have many, many black friends…I just don't think government should use its power to do things." Salon
- Thailand's Intolerance of Its Own LGBT Community Will Surprise You
- 41 GOP Senators Try To Filibuster Judge, Then Confirm Him Unanimously
- Candidate Stockman Threatens Jail To Anyone Who Publishes His Mugshot
- Texas Buck-rakers—'How the Texas Tea Party became nothing more than an effort to take people's money."
- The Texas Tea Party Didn't Win, But It Got The GOP To Move To The Right
- Has the Conservative Political Action Conference Purged the Kooks?—"The annual conservative confab was notable for who wasn't there."
- Jon Stewart Skewers Conservatives' Massive Crush On Vladimir Putin—Man-crush on their fellow homophobe.
- The Very Last Thing Republicans Have to Fight About—"While the national party talks about broadening the base, local activists are purging the ranks."
- Why Republicans Don't Want to Acknowledge the Falling Deficit NYT
- Paul Ryan's Audit Of Federal Anti-Poverty Programs Finds Many Are Actually Very Effective
- Paul Ryan Tries to Enlist Social Science to Back Up His Poverty Plan, Disaster Ensues
- Paul Ryan's Free School Lunch Story Never Actually Happened—Very likely it was plagiarized.
- Oops: The Texas Miracle That Isn't—"Conservatives say the Lone Star state's recent record of growth validates their economic agenda. That record crumbles upon inspection."
- Wisconsin income gap widening faster than nation as a whole
- These 9 Maps Should Absolutely Outrage Southerners
Issa's IRS Witch-hunt
- Republican Chairman Cuts The Mic And Walks Out When Democrat Challenges Him
- Furious House Dems Demand Issa's Removal As Committee Chairman
- Issa Apologizes to Cummings, but Accuses Him of 'Hissy Fit'
- Why Darrell Issa Turned Off the Mic—"When politicians in the House majority resort to silencing their critics, you know they've lost the argument." NYT
- Georgia Lawmaker Exploits Loophole In His Own Lobbying Law To Fundraise For ALEC
- Why the 1 Percent Have Nothing to Fear—"Barack Obama and the Democrats aren't really coming for your wealth. (They just want your political donations.)"
- Maine lawmakers vote to cancel LePage consultant's contract—"The Alexander Group won a $925,000 no-bid contract to look at a number of issues, with its first report recommending against Medicaid expansion."
- Top Florida regulator of ALFs gets new job — working for ALF lobby
- Harry Reid: 'Republicans are addicted to Koch' WaPo
- Chris Christie Stands Up For Koch Brothers At CPAC: They're 'Great Americans'
- TYT: Who's Defending The Billionaire Brothers Buying Our Democracy?
- Koch Spends More Than Double Top Ten Unions Combined
- Big-Money Donors Demand Larger Say in Campaign Strategy—"In both parties, elite donors who once deferred to 'super PAC' leaders to determine the best use of their money are now taking a central role in shaping campaigns." NYT
- Death of the local campaign: How $9 million in outside money is deciding Pinellas' District 13 race
- Infographic: How Money Won Congress
- City agency secretly settled campaign finance suit—"The city Campaign Finance Board demands rigorous transparency from candidates for public office, but itself secretly settled a botched case last year, costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars."
- Koch-Tied Groups Funded GOP Effort to Mess With Electoral College Rules
- Bill Nelson: State blocking UF voting center is suppression—"The state of Florida is blocking the use of a college student union as an early voting center."
- Emails show Scott Walker blurred campaign, county government lines
- Lawsuit challenging voting bills would force GOP to prove fraud
- The GOP Won't Pass Immigration Reform – and It Could Prove Disastrous
- CPAC Attendees: Rubio Killed His 2016 Dreams With Immigration
- Border Lawman Tells Texas Politicians to 'Shut Up' About the Border—"We're in the middle of an election season which has seen a lot of political posturing over the Texas-Mexico border."
- Undocumented immigrant denied law license in Florida—"Florida's Supreme Court ruled that man with law degree who passed state bar cannot get a license to practice."
- Black Lawmakers Walk Out On Resolution Honoring Ardent Segregationist
- DOJ Trolls Jindal With Civil Rights Book Gift After Segregation Remark
- Limbaugh: '12 Years A Slave' Won Because Of 'Magic Word' In Title
- Florida Man Causes Controversy With KKK Flag In Front Yard—"It's my patriotic duty."
- Jailed White Supremacist Now Doing All He Can To Leave The Small Town He Tried To Take Over
- Jasper Reaches Settlement With Fired Police Chief—"Appointed three years ago by a majority black city council, Pearson was fired after 16 months in office, after a largely white group of residents mounted an effort to recall black council members."
- Man sues McDonald's for $1.5 million 'because they gave him only one napkin'—"Lucas, who is African-American, alleged that the Mexican-American manager was racist towards him and mumbled something that sounded like 'you people.'"
- Court: School can ban US flag shirts for safety—"Officials at a Northern California high school acted appropriately when they ordered students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during the Mexican heritage celebration Cinco de Mayo, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday." Seems like in this case the shirts were deliberately provocative.
- Bill O'Reilly's Gift for the Ages—"Imagine Walter Cronkite, Diane Sawyer, Terry Gross or Tim Russert devoting entire shows to praising their own work." NYT
- The Colbert Report: Bill O'Reilly's Interview of the Decade—"Bill O'Reilly gloats over his interview with Obama, and Stephen auctions off the microwave he stole from the Fox News green room."
- 5 more items that Bill O’Reilly could auction—"The Fox News anchor is angry at Salon for mocking the auctioning of his handwritten interview notes." Salon
New story: Biggest by AKA
- On International Women's Day: Working to make it right—"Let's celebrate International Women's Day by remembering women around the world working towards peace."
- Men Are Target for UN Women's Rights and Empowerment Campaign
- Stop female scientists being written out of Wikipedia history—"The Royal Society is urging people to help it shine a light on the achievements of women in science in a forthcoming 'edit-athon.'"
- The Indian sanitary pad revolutionary—"A school dropout from a poor family in southern India has revolutionised menstrual health for rural women in developing countries by inventing a simple machine they can use to make cheap sanitary pads."
- The New Barbie: Meet the Doll with an Average Woman's Proportions—"Artist Nickolay Lamm thinks some dolls should look like anatomically correct women. And a former Mattel exec is helping."
- I'm Finally Revealing My Name and Face As the Duke Porn Star—Her slutshaming went on overdrive.
- Duke porn star Belle Knox says she wants to help sex workers after bankrolling law degree with sex
- Bully who outed Duke porn star has his porn preferences publicized
- Hey Microsoft: The 1950s called, they want their sexist ad back—"This isn't the first time Microsoft has resorted to regressive gender norms." Salon
- Female WestJet pilot posts passenger's sexist note on Facebook
- I Witnessed Hollywood's Sexism Firsthand -- And Said Nothing
- Sexism in sport: Why do internet trolls target women?
- This Prankster in Yoga Pants Makes Powerful Point About Sexism
War on Women
- Virginia GOPer Refers To Women Seeking An Abortion As Just A 'Host'—And the baby is a parasite?
- GOP Lawmaker: We Need to Ban Sex-Selective Abortions Because of Asian Immigrants—"Supporters of a South Dakota bill say Asian Americans don't value girls as much as boys."
- Former Dem Rep. Who Lost House Seat To McLeod Calls Her A 'Bimbo'
- Dem TX District Attorney Candidate: Domestic Violence Is 'So Overrated'
- O'Reilly ponders 'downsides' to women presidents
Abortion and Birth Control
- I Can't Afford to Let My Boss Interfere With My Health Care Decisions
- The Doctor Is Out—"Conservative governors are pushing abortion politics onto health boards—and threatening doctors’ independence on other medical issues."
- The Seven Most Common Lies About Abortion—"Debunking anti-choice misinformation about women's health."
- US Supreme Court: Arizona can't withhold Planned Parenthood funds over abortion
- Planned Parenthood comes up clean in state investigation—"Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast has not been using government funds to provide or recommend abortions in Louisiana, according to a report released Monday morning by the Louisiana Legislative Auditor. "
- Arizona advances bill for surprise inspections of abortion clinics
- Arizona sued over rules limiting abortion drug use
- Alabama anti-cloning bill would allow hospitals to turn away miscarrying women
- Alabama lawmakers weigh strict 'fetal heartbeat' abortion ban—Would there be an instance where abortion is mandated?
- 2 More Texas Abortion Clinics Shut Down Because Of New Anti-Abortion Law
- The Afterlife of "After-Birth Abortion"
- Are teen parents costing Vt. taxpayers?
- Saudi Arabia: Women's visits to hospitals without male guardians banned—They still aren't allowed to drive due to this male guardianship.
- Frustration in Afghan women's rights struggle
- Egypt's Security Forces Once Again Using Virginity Tests On Female Detainees
- Sudan court convicts Ethiopian woman over 'gang-rape'—"An Ethiopian woman who says she was gang-raped in Sudan has been convicted of 'indecent acts.'"
- The Bikini Question—How is this Christian author's view not different from other religion's imposing on women to cover up?
- Controlling Public Art By Lawsuit: Japanese-American Citizens Sue To Remove "Comfort Women" Memorial—Whitewashing history.
- Sex slavery an 'indescribable' wrong: Murayama
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review—"A group of Japanese historians Friday stood behind their government’s 1993 apology over wartime sex slavery, slamming Tokyo's possible move to revise it as 'unforgivable.'"
Rape and Sexual Assaults
- Montana Prosecutor Allegedly Told Mother of 5-Year-Old Sexual-Assault Victim That "Boys Will Be Boys"
- Girl, 14, gang raped while walking home through Sydney park
- Canadian Doctor Sentenced For Sexual Assault—"A Canadian anesthesiologist convicted of sexually assaulting 21 sedated women during surgeries was sentenced Tuesday to 10 years in prison."
- Troubles at Women's Prison Test Alabama—"The Tutwiler women’s prison is rife with sexual crimes, the federal government says, but the appetite for costly reform in tough-on-crime Alabama appears minimal." NYT
- Police Testify That Patricia Esparza "Consented to" Being Raped
- Condom piercer loses Supreme Court appeal—"Craig Jaret Hutchinson convicted in December 2011 and sentenced to 18 months behind bars."
Blame the Victim
- Wall Street Journal Columnist: Victims Of Sexual Assault Need To Take Their Share Of Blame, Too
- At Evangelical College, Woman Who Was Assaulted Is "Responsible for What Happened to Her"
- Montana judge admits fault for blaming victim of rape
- Senate Blocks Bill To Overhaul Prosecution Of Rape In The Military—The filibustered bill, that would have civilian court handle rape cases, has had a difficult time getting passed.
- Army's top sex assault prosecutor suspended after assault allegation
- Army disqualifies 588 soldiers after sexual assault review
- Fort Hood solider charged in prostitution case—"A Fort Hood sergeant who was a coordinator of the post's sexual assault and harassment prevention program faces multiple charges after he was accused of setting up a prostitution ring involving cash-strapped female soldiers."
- AP findings on US military sex crimes in Japan—"Hundreds of records detailing sex-crime investigations involving U.S. military personnel stationed in Japan show most offenders were not incarcerated, suspects received light punishments after being accused of serious violations, and victims increasingly were wary of cooperating with investigators."
- 20 Years Ago, an Army Veteran Reported a Sexual Assault. She's Still Waiting for Justice.
- UK: MoD denies cover-up in Anne-Marie Ellement inquest as documents found—"Coroner delays ruling in military police rape claim inquest after lawyers for MoD uncover discs with 1,400 unseen documents."
- UK military allowed to investigate sexual assaults without involving police—"Commanding officers can deal with what military sees as 'lesser' sexual offences without independent scrutiny."
- For First Time, Kremlin Signals It Is Prepared to Annex Crimea NYT
- Who Will Protect the Crimean Tatars?—"As Crimea prepares for a referendum on its future, its native Muslim residents are preparing for the worst."
- Crimea: paramilitaries shown with gun to journalist's head
- 21 Times Journalists Have Confirmed Masked Troops in Crimea Are Russian
- CNN team told to stop broadcasting from Crimea Politico
- Ukraine: Is This How the War on Terror Ends?
- Why Russia Can't Afford Another Cold War—"The old Soviet Union was all but impervious to foreign economic or business pressure. But now it has a stock market, and an economy heavily reliant on exports to Europe." NYT
- Britain's KGB Sugar Daddy—"To understand Britain’s cowardice in standing up to Vladimir Putin, just follow the money."
- Nick Clegg hints at Crimea deal if Vladimir Putin 'drops KGB mentality'—"Deputy prime minister says Crimea is in different category from rest of Ukraine, and Russia has 'pronounced imprint' there."
- David Cameron's serious Twitter photo mocked by celebrities, Sir Patrick Stewart
New story: The Favor 3 by xythan_shadow
War on Drugs
- Holder and Republicans Unite to Soften Sentencing Laws—"Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and libertarian-leaning Republicans have found common cause on eliminating mandatory-minimum prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenders." NYT
- NYPD faces five years of oversight after stop-and-frisk ruling
- The Entrapment of Jesse Snodgrass—"He was a friendless high school loner struggling with autism. So why did an undercover cop target him as a drug dealer?"
- Informants who helped US catch drug lords say rewards have not been paid—"The lure of $5m helped catch Colombian capo 'Don Diego', but the man who turned him in says he is still waiting for the bounty."
- Good Samaritan jailed for six years for punching drug dealer who attacked woman—"Carl Neale jailed for punching violent drug dealer, who was not prosecuted for violent attack on woman which triggered confrontation."
- 'El Chapo' Guzman: How the world's most wanted drug lord was finally busted
- Judge denies petition to prevent extradition of notorious drug lord 'El Chapo'
- Philippines raid reveals Mexican drug cartel presence in Asia
- Pivotal Point Is Seen as More States Consider Legalizing Marijuana—"A little over a year after Colorado and Washington made the drug legal, more than half the states are considering decriminalizing or legalizing it for medical or recreational use." NYT
- Marijuana legalization on cusp of mass acceptance—"In long journey, drug soars from illegal to popular." Boston Globe
- The Republican Party's Pot Dilemma—"Most Americans favor legalizing marijuana, but most in the GOP do not. Can the party avoid being on the losing side of another culture war?"
- Legal Marijuana Market Exceeds Tax Hopes, Creating Opportunities
- It's official: Pot legalization will be put to a vote in Alaska this August WaPo
- Miami Senator’s Bill Would Allow Recreational Marijuana Use
- Washington issues first legal pot business license—"... launching a new phase in the state's ambitious effort to regulate a market that has been illegal for more than 75 years."
- Just Say No To These 11 Outrageous Arguments Against Legalizing Marijuana
- D.C. Council Votes to Decriminalize Small Amounts of Marijuana
- Canada: Looser pot laws may be on horizon after input from police chiefs, MacKay hints
- Marijuana in Jamaica: Puff peace—"The island's energy minister, Philip Paulwell, who also leads government business in parliament, has said he will find time this year to decriminalise possession of small amounts of marijuana."
- Gupta: 'I am doubling down' on medical marijuana—"I am more convinced than ever that it is irresponsible to not provide the best care we can, care that often may involve marijuana."
- Georgia: Medical Marijuana Bill Passes Through House
- 'Mommy lobby' emerges as a powerful advocate for medical marijuana for children WaPo
- Minister's daughter: Cannabis 'a gift from God'
Law and Disorder
- DEA Official: 'Every Single Parent' Opposes Marijuana Legalization—Liar.
- Annapolis police chief apologizes for citing hoax story in testimony against marijuana legalization
- Minnesota Wants To Legalize Medical Marijuana, But Police Agencies Are In The Way
- Gov. Jerry Brown on legalized marijuana: 'How many people can get stoned and still have a great state?' WaPo
- 'I'm Going To Prison For Working At A Pot Shop That Was Legal In My State'
- Colorado troopers get training on spotting drivers under influence of pot
- Vancouver PD to feds: We won't shut illegal pot dispensaries—"City won't interfere if illegal stores sell only to patients."
CIA Senate Spying
- CIA and senators in bitter dispute over Capitol Hill spying claims—"John Brennan, CIA director, rebukes intelligence committee as tensions over torture findings explode into public sphere."
- Senate staffers slipped secret CIA documents from agency's headquarters
- Justice Considers Probe of Senate Staffers in Dispute Over Torture Report
New story: Chuck: A Photo Booth Outtake by Aardvark
- Pop-Tart school-gun bill clears first hurdle in Florida—"Legislators here are working to keep students from getting in serious trouble for simulating a weapon with harmless objects like their fingers, Pop-Tarts or Legos."
- NRA Backs Fla. "Pop Tart" Gun Bill Because Playing With Toy Guns at School Is Totally a Kid's Right
- Chicago School Officials Suspend 11-Year-Old Boy Under 'Dangerous Weapons' Policy for Voluntarily Turning in Non-Firing Toy Gun
- Boy points finger like gun, gets suspended
- New Hanover County Schools remove 'Zero Tolerance' Policy
- Texas student suspended after bringing beer to school by mistake
- Clarksville Student Suspended For Knife In Father's Car—30 days (down from 90) is still too much.
- Boy arrested after throwing snowball at cop—"13-year-old being charged with a felony following incident."
- Teen: Teachers Made Me Stand Outside In Wet Bathing Suit, Barefoot
- University policy will force students to wear trackable identification at all times
- 'Toy gun' found at Flint's Doyle-Ryder Elementary, two students arrested on disorderly conduct charges—"While police called it a 'toy gun,' Watkins said he believed in was a BB gun," which is an expellable offense.
- Student brings gun to elementary school—"The 11-year-old boy brought the .44-caliber handgun to Feaster Charter School in a backpack to show a few other students on Jan. 31, police said. He didn’t wave it around or threaten anybody, they added."
- Ind. House OKs bill to allow guns in cars at schools
- Associates defend man who had gun in school—Ironically, an advocate of the SAFE act, "the state law that made carrying a gun on school property a felony."
- When May I Shoot a Student?—"Modest questions about an Idaho bill allowing guns on campus." NYT
- Many Minnesota students are subjected to lunch refusals, including 'tray pulls'
- USDA Tells Schools: Don't Refuse Food To Students Who Owe
- ACLU takes case of bus driver fired over Facebook posting—"Johnny Cook said that he was terminated from his job after he made a post about a child who he said was refused a free lunch."
- Howell elementary student raising money to cover unpaid school lunch bills for classmates
- Policies need to make sure all students get a hot lunch
- Paul Ryan: Free School Lunch Means Poor Parents Don't Care About Kids—He just loves the poor.
- Student Loans Are Ruining Your Life. Now They're Ruining the Economy, Too—"American students are well over $1 trillion in debt, and it's starting to hurt everyone, economists say."
- Feds file suit against for-profit college chain—"The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau filed suit Wednesday against a large, for-profit college chain alleging that it pushed students into high-cost private student loans knowing they would likely end in default."
- Elizabeth Warren: Sallie Mae May Be Hurting Borrowers, Taxpayers—Can she get student loans refinanced?
- TN Governor makes education top priority in State of the State address—"Addressing a packed House chamber, Gov. Haslam announced what he called the 'Tennessee Promise'; the plan allows for all high school students to get two years of college education for free."
- Free Online University Receives Accreditation, in Time for Graduating Class of 7—"The University of the People, built to reach underserved students around the world, announced Thursday that it had received accreditation." NYT
- Can free community college save the US economy?
- Cut Off Harvard to Save America—"University endowments promote inefficiency and are anti-meritocratic."
- Alamo Colleges trustees OK new approach to textbooks
- Oklahoma schools required to teach high school students to manage finances—"Oklahoma students, effective this May, now must demonstrate an understanding in banking, taxes, investing, loans, insurance, identity theft and eight other areas to graduate. Teachers are required to certify students' working knowledge in each area."
- The Myth Behind Public School Failure—"In the rush to privatize the country's schools, corporations and politicians have decimated school budgets, replaced teaching with standardized testing, and placed the blame on teachers and students."
- Carolina Confronts Classroom Corruption as Athletes Fail to Read
- Rutgers makes professor teach class he is clueless about, suspends him for telling students
- Fight Over Effective Teachers Shifts to Courtroom NYT
- Sharpen those pencils: The SAT test is getting harder—Bye-bye essay section [WaPo].
- Why the SAT is really changing: It's facing tough competition from the ACT WaPo
- The Problem Isn't What's on the SAT. The Problem Is the SAT Itself—"Make no mistake: The next revolution is an educational one. And America can only be at the forefront of it by disregarding for-profit standardized tests."
- The University of Tennessee's Sex Week Will Go on Despite Major Controversy
- Philly-area student gets prize -- and more -- after being snubbed jackpot for half-court basketball shot—Props to Pizza Hut. Free good-will publicity for them.
- Columbus school board admits to illegal meetings, settles 'Dispatch' lawsuit
- Poudre School District destroys records to deny special needs family's access
- An inconvenient child—"My six-year-old son was suspended as a danger to others. His crime? Apraxia, a disability you could find in any classroom."
Think of the Children
- 11-year-old girl's cupcake business shut down by Madison County officials
- Victoria's Secret store bans mom from breastfeeding
- New Study Confirms It: Breast-Feeding Benefits Have Been Drastically Overstated
- Nick Lachey Says 'It Takes a Lot of Courage' for Media to Adopt #NoKidsPolicy
- Graco recalls nearly 4 million car seats because children may get trapped
- Family Outraged Over Suspension Of Westlake High Senior Class President—"Friends and Conti supporters accuse Westlake High Principal Ron Lipari of coming down hard on Conti and protecting the school's football program."
- Suspended Rudder High School Teen Speaks Out—Stood up for someone getting harrased; gets suspended.
- Child attempts suicide after being bullied at school for being a fan of My Little Pony
- Former high school bully congratulates gay victim after seeing marriage proposal online
- Motivating teenagers: How do you do it?—"Helicopter parenting has crippled American teenagers. Here's how to fix it."
- It's Complicated: An interview with danah boyd about teens and technology.
- Sponsor of Kansas spanking bill says it would help define corporal punishment, restore parental rights
- NY lawmaker: Parents should take parenting classes—Some parents don't know the fuck they're doing.
- The tyranny of the "bad mother": Slacker moms are just as intimidating as perfect ones Salon
- Judge Denies Tuition Money, Child Support For NJ Teen Suing Parents
Law and Disorder
- Parents force 5-year-old to drink grape soda until she dies, prosecutor says
- Judge accepts father's insanity plea in decapitation
- Boy, 11, is beaten and stabbed to death by his father at cricket practice
- Philadelphia couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths
- Baby to undergo blood transfusions despite objection of Jehovah's Witnesses parents—"High Court judge agrees to proceedure despite his parents' objections on religious grounds."
- US doctor found guilty of waterboarding his 11-year-old stepdaughter
- EU leaders to hold emergency talks
- CIA reportedly says Russia sees treaty as justifying Ukraine moves—It "allows up to 25,000 Russia troops in the vital Crimea region, so Russia may not consider its recent troop movements to be an invasion."
- State-Funded Channel's Anchorwoman Hits Kremlin On Ukraine
- Russian professor under pressure over Nazi comparison on Ukraine
- Crimea votes to join Russia, Obama orders sanctions
- U.S. Navy destroyer heads to Black Sea for pre-planned exercises
- Russians sink a boat off Ukraine coast - their own
New story: Fantasy by Derek Williams (musc mc)
War on Terror
- FBI Never Revealed It Had Al Qaeda Mole Who Met Bin Laden—CIA was involved too.
- FBI credibility questioned in fishy shooting—"Rachel Maddow reports on details of the FBI shooting of Ibragim Todashev that strain credulity, keeping questions about the Boston Marathon bombing unresolved."
- Fox News host calls out Darrell Issa for 'highest level of falsehood' on Benghazi
- Interview: Karzai says 12-year Afghanistan war has left him angry at U.S. government—"After 12 years in office, Afghan president says war was not waged with his country’s interests in mind." WaPo
- Obama Preps for Complete US Withdrawal From Afghanistan
- Leftovers from Afghanistan and Iraq Wars: 1,558 Amputations; 7,224 Severe Brain Injuries; 118,829 Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders
- Due to activist lawsuits, US gov't wants to keep our metadata longer—"A more limited retention of the [business records] metadata is not possible."
- NSA head floats idea: What if we only gathered terrorist communications?—"Gen. Keith Alexander raises possibility of reining in NSA's metadata program."
- US State Dept: "Surveillance should not be arbitrary," except when it is—"State Dept. official reiterates president's January policy on digital snooping."
- Feds Refuse to Release Public Comments on NSA Reform — Citing Privacy
- DOJ Still Ducking Scrutiny After Misleading Supreme Court on Surveillance
Surveillance and Privacy
- Obama knew CIA secretly monitored intelligence committee, senator claims—"White House declines to comment after Mark Udall says agency spied on staffers preparing scathing report into CIA torture [NYT] after 9/11."
- Forget the NSA, the LAPD Spies on Millions of Innocent Folks
- George Brandis refuses to back up claim that Snowden put lives at risk—"Attorney general says he is aware of particular cases on the basis of intelligence briefings but will not reveal the information."
- FBI and Secret Service Phone Calls Intercepted by Google Maps Exploit
- Sprint Accused of Overcharging Feds Millions for Wiretapping
- At the RSA Security Conference, Things Get Testy and Then They Get Awkward NYT
- Stephen Colbert gives controversial security conference talk—Sometimes people forget that he was in character.
- NSA chief criticises media and suggests UK was right to detain David Miranda—"Keith Alexander says revelations have caused 'grave damage' and claims officials are making 'headway' on 'media leaks.'"
- Attorneys for Barrett Brown want case on linking to hacked material dismissed—"The US activist-journalist faces 100 years in prison for posting hyperlink to site containing hacked material in chat room." Update: Feds drop all but one of the 12 charges.
- UK shells out over $8mn to monitor Julian Assange
Your Rights Online
- Yahoo webcam images from millions of users intercepted by GCHQ—"1.8m users targeted by UK agency in six-month period alone."
- Government spying tools will worsen Internet security: experts
- Mexican Protest Site Censored by GoDaddy — with the U.S. Embassy's Help
- Why It's Vital For the Public to Fund Open-Source Encryption Tools
- Tor is building an anonymous instant messenger
- WeChat: The Chinese chat app stealing Weibo's thunder—"WeChat's greater privacy and wider range of applications make it more attractive to use."
- Apple Explains Exactly How Secure iMessage Really Is—"Too long, didnt read? Basically: Unless Apple is omitting something or there's some backdoor tucked into their many-layers-deep encryption (which, while unlikely, isn't inconceivable) they really can't read your iMessages without a fairly insane amount of effort. Sure, they could theoretically brute force their way past your private key. Or they could scrap the entire system and replace it with something with glaring security holes, and hope no one notices."
- Congress Must Update Email Privacy Law
- Texas appeals court says police can't search your phone after you're jailed—"Looking at your texts is not like searching your pockets, judges say."
- Police Hide Use of Cell Phone Tracker From Courts Because Manufacturer Asked—How did corporate-mandated nondisclosure agreements trump the 4th amendment?
- Second federal 'kill-switch' bill introduced targeting smartphone theft—"The bill in the House of Representatives follows similar proposals in the Senate and the California State Assembly." This will never, ever be abused.
- 'Between Us': Tony Blair Offered To Advise Rupert Murdoch On Hacking Scandal
- Rebekah Brooks 'did not know hacking was illegal'
- Brooks testifies about paying public official at phone hacking trial
- Former Murdoch CEO Brooks denies knowledge of murdered girl phone-hack
- Murdoch told me not to quit amid phone-hacking row
- Obama's Critics Should Put Up or Shut Up
- Canada: Election act changes could muzzle report on probe into robocalls, lawyer warns—"A clause muzzling investigators in the Conservatives' new election act could prevent Elections Canada from ever reporting on the outcome of its investigation into fraudulent and deceptive calls in the 2011 campaign, says a former lawyer for Elections Canada."
- 'Concentrate' Roma in 'camps': far-right runner—"A National Front party candidate running in Paris’s municipal elections has caused outrage by suggesting the best way to deal with the country's Roma population was to 'concentrate' them in 'camps.'"
- Scott Ludlam blasts Tony Abbott in final speech before WA byelection—"Greens senator attacks 'blundering and technically illiterate' government in seven-minute speech to almost empty Senate."
- Rupert Murdoch's empire receives $882m tax rebate from Australia
New story: Angel - A Sequel by msclvr
- Obesity Rate for Young Children Plummets 43% in a Decade—"The data, reported in a major federal health survey, offered the first clear evidence that America's children have turned a corner in the obesity epidemic, and came as a surprise to researchers." Go Michelle. NYT
- America's obesity cure: Laziness?—"New research finds one bad habit we’re often tagged with (sloth) can help us overcome another (overeating)." Salon
- Average obese woman gets just 1 hour of exercise a year
- Birth by C-Section May Raise Obesity Risk—"A large review of studies has found that birth by cesarean section is associated with being overweight and obese in adulthood." NYT
- New F.D.A. Nutrition Labels Would Make ‘Serving Sizes’ Reflect Actual Servings—"The Food and Drug Administration will propose major changes to nutrition labels on food packages, including more prominent calorie counts and the adjustment of some portion sizes." NYT
- Feds to fine Florida over limit on Medicaid patients' ER visits
- 3 hospitals failed to help dying deaf patient: suit
- Cancer doctors treat woman on wrong breast
- Red Light Cameras at Hospital Entrance Investigated by Channel 10—And "the fine was upheld by the Judge Magistrate appointed by the city." Nice shakedown. Does the hospital get a cut of the proceeds?
- GOP finally goes too far on Obamacare: Why the 50th repeal vote is not the charm—"Last year Republicans could call for killing Obamacare, with no consequences. Now it means something very different." Salon
- Being a doctor was once a job with great purpose. Now it's just a business—"The 'free market' approach to care means seeing more patients in less time. We've lost the human connection in health reform."
- Seth Rogen: Why were only two senators at Alzheimer's hearing?
- Fraternity waited an hour to get help for passed out pledge, Googled symptoms—The student died.
- Doctors give up on efforts to revive Michael Schumacher: Report
- Hospital records of all NHS patients sold to insurers—"Hospital records of all NHS patients sold for insurance purposes days after controversial plans to extract patient data from GP files put on hold."
- NHS England patient data 'uploaded to Google servers', Tory MP says—"Health select committee member Sarah Wollaston queries how data was secured by PA Consulting and uploaded to servers outside UK."
- Hospital records used to 'target ads on Twitter and Facebook' say privacy campaigners, in latest NHS data concerns
- California BART rider with measles potentially exposed thousands
- 'About 20' cases of polio-like illness found in California
- AIDS Denial Crazies Go All DMCA On Videos Educating People Of Their Crazines
- How Many People Aren't Vaccinating Their Kids in Your State?—"In some places, dodging your children's immunizations is as easy as checking a box."
- Study: Trying to convince parents to vaccinate their kids just makes the problem worse Salon
- Polio vaccination teams attacked by Pakistani militants—"Militants ambush convoy of health workers with roadside bomb, killing 12 of their security team and wounding dozens more."
National Grammar Day
- Every day is grammar day when you've got this job
- This Pronoun Will Make You Irresistible to Women
- Bill Flanagan of the grammar police on "I and me"
- The 9 Most Controversial Rules In English Grammar
- The Wrong Way to Teach Grammar—"No more diagramming sentences: Students learn more from simply writing and reading."
- Quebec: Expect tougher language laws if PQ wins majority, minister says
- Quebec store owner ordered to change Facebook page to French—"Eva Cooper argues that Quebec's language law, Bill 101, doesn't cover social media."
- Montreal Board of Trade criticizes Quebec language police over Facebook crackdown
- Pope Francis accidentally drops F-Bomb in Vatican Sunday blessing—"The Holy Father confused similar-sounding Italian words with very different meanings in his sermon about charity, but quickly corrected himself."
- Starbucks Sends Cease and Desist Letter to Bar for "F Word" Beer, Owner Sends Back $6 Check and This Letter
- No Sex Please, We're Google.—Android's dictionary treats some common words as misspellings — including some of the names of Google's own products.
- The world's 19 most imaginative insults Salon
- Video: The Count Censored
- The 5 Best Punctuation Marks in Literature
- The Period Is Pissed. When did our plainest punctuation mark become so aggressive?
- Comma usage rules are unclear. Could the punctuation mark die out completely?
- Ex-U.S. magistrate who changed baby's name from 'Messiah' censured
- Mexico state bans odd baby names including 'Facebook'
- Teenager's new name is fantastic
- Putin: Russia has no plans to annex Ukraine's Crimea region
- Kerry, Arriving in Kiev, Offers $1 Billion in Loan Guarantees to Ukraine NYT
- Ukraine praised for 'refusing to rise to Russian provocation'
- Opinion: Don't listen to Obama's Ukraine critics: he's not 'losing' – and it's not his fight—"The 'do something' pundits rear their heads. Just like they did on Iraq, Afghanistan and every other crisis of US 'credibility.'"
- The Ukraine-Russia Crisis in 26 Nail-Biting Numbers—"845,000 Russian troops plus 1,389 Russian combat aircraft plus a $115,000 wild boar statue equals big trouble."
Stories that recently received comments
- The Prince's Teenage Commandos 2 by John D.
- Invisible: The Story of Nameless Tommy by musc4life
- Fantasy by Derek Williams
- To Protect, and to Serve 7 by Mindbender
- Tobias 801 by Eigh
- Foreign Exchange Student Hypno 4 by Eigh
- The Swamp by irrcapt
- Barista Muscle by BBMSN
- Office Hours by Hyptrance
- Finding the Pearl 6 by dymondbolt
- The Rivalry by Jaypat
- No Escape by irrcapt
- Tessaract by wbhulk
- Bob's Brief Memoir by FanTCman
- Brady Cannon’s Unexpected Medical Exam 6d: Harrison Gets a Cage by Glaucon55
- Transform: Muscle City 21 by AKA
- Takeout by z119z
- The Minos Touch by O'Melissokomos
- Doctor's Orders 2 by hypnojon32
- Family Traits 4 by dymondbolt
Little Shop of Authors
- Alyn Roze
- chester & magister
- derek phillips
- John D.
- Kyle Leach
- Max Mann
- MTL Bear
- Richard Jasper
- Richard Pickman
- Rob Bass
A little about me...
Just a guy looking for a means to express himself...
What’s with the name? It sounds Greek to me.
And you'd be exactly right, except for the part of me being Greek. (Not that I wouldn't want get some baklava for time to time.) I am also in no way associated with the film.
Are you a real beekeeper?
Heavens, no, but if you want to be my one of my drones... what the hey...
Story themes I'm intoHypnosis, mind control, musclegrowth, body swap, male transformation, age progression and age regression (AP/AR), growth, shrinking, ASFR, freezing, time stop
Authoritarian (cops, military, firemen, etc.), BDSM, NC, humiliation, cum control, orgasm denial, milking, incest, straight/jock seduction
- Worldwide Bodybuilders
- Master Grog
- Under the Influence
- ABSolute Men
- Going Under...
- Daddy Hypnotized
- Muscle Dad To Be
- Body Lounger
- Jock Transformations
- Look into my eyes, boy...
- Choose Your Own Change
- Male Body Exchange
- Male Transformation Blog
- The NCMC
- Visible Time
- July 2002
- August 2002
- September 2002
- October 2002
- November 2002
- December 2002
- January 2003
- February 2003
- March 2003
- April 2003
- May 2003
- June 2003
- July 2003
- August 2003
- September 2003
- October 2003
- November 2003
- December 2003
- January 2004
- February 2004
- March 2004
- April 2004
- May 2004
- June 2004
- July 2004
- August 2004
- September 2004
- October 2004
- November 2004
- December 2004
- January 2005
- February 2005
- March 2005
- April 2005
- May 2005
- June 2005
- July 2005
- August 2005
- September 2005
- October 2005
- November 2005
- December 2005
- January 2006
- February 2006
- March 2006
- April 2006
- May 2006
- June 2006
- July 2006
- August 2006
- September 2006
- October 2006
- November 2006
- December 2006
- January 2007
- February 2007
- March 2007
- April 2007
- May 2007
- June 2007
- July 2007
- August 2007
- September 2007
- October 2007
- November 2007
- December 2007
- January 2008
- February 2008
- March 2008
- April 2008
- May 2008
- June 2008
- July 2008
- August 2008
- September 2008
- October 2008
- November 2008
- December 2008
- January 2009
- February 2009
- March 2009
- April 2009
- May 2009
- June 2009
- July 2009
- August 2009
- September 2009
- October 2009
- November 2009
- December 2009
- January 2010
- February 2010
- March 2010
- April 2010
- May 2010
- June 2010
- July 2010
- August 2010
- September 2010
- October 2010
- November 2010
- December 2010
- January 2011
- February 2011
- March 2011
- April 2011
- May 2011
- June 2011
- July 2011
- August 2011
- September 2011
- October 2011
- November 2011
- December 2011
- January 2012
- February 2012
- March 2012
- April 2012
- May 2012
- June 2012
- July 2012
- August 2012
- September 2012
- October 2012
- November 2012
- December 2012
- January 2013
- February 2013
- March 2013
- April 2013
- May 2013
- June 2013
- July 2013
- August 2013
- September 2013
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014